Here’s a fancy presentation with lobster salad and shrimp served in the lobsters’ shells. Lobster shells are typically saved to make a nice broth or stock, but here we’re using them to serve the lobster salad. Lobster salad in lobster shells is an elegant yet relaxed summer recipe sure to impress your guests. Be sure to select some good hard-shell lobsters because you’ll want the shells to be firm enough to dish up this sensational seafood salad.
Lobster Salad in Lobster Shells Ingredients:
- (4) 1―3/4 to 2 lb. live lobsters
- 12 large shrimp
- 4-6 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 tbsp. parsley chopped (optional)
- 2 jars marinated artichoke hearts*
- Lemon, cut into wedges
(*Substitute mushrooms marinated in Italian dressing or potato salad.)
Lobster Salad in the Shells Instructions
- Cook Lobster- See our Maine Guiding to Cooking Lobsters
- Add shrimp to the pot for the last 4-5 minutes of cooking
- Cool and remove the tail and body meat.
- Keep the claws and discard everything inside the shell, including the black line that runs the length of the lobster (that’s the intestinal track). Learn more about the inside of a lobster.
- Cut the tail meat into chunks and refrigerate. along with the body meat, claws, and empty shells.
- Peel and devein shrimp and refrigerate.
- Mix the lobster meat, mayonnaise, celery and parsley together.
- Divide equally between the 4 shells, add three shrimp to each shell and fill remaining space with artichokes.
- Serve on lettuce leaves, a cracked claw on each plate. and wedges of lemon.
For a simpler recipe see how to make a classic lobster salad with a nice champagne vinaigrette dressing.