In New England we are particular about how lobster rolls are made. A proper lobster roll has flat sides for grilling and is top center cut to hold the sweet, tender lobster meat. This is an authentic lobster roll, plain and simple. Since we are not using rolls this is not a lobster roll recipe; it’s a recipe for a lobster sandwich!
Our lobster sandwiches were made with croissants baked locally from our friends at the Market Square Bakehouse in Amesbury, Massachusetts. While the lobster meat makes the sandwich, the croissant, well… also makes the sandwich! The croissant was light, flaky and oh so buttery. Hence, no butter needed. Dare we say a perfect match for chunks of sweet, fresh Maine lobster meat. To bring it all together we made a simple lemon chive mayonnaise dressing.
Makes eight heavenly lobster sandwiches.
You will need:
- 8 fresh baked croissants cut in half
- 2 pounds of fresh claw, knuckle and tail meat
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 large lemons to make lemon zest
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Lemon Chive Mayonnaise Recipe
- In a small bowl add mayonnaise.
- Add chives, finely chopped.
- Add zest of two whole lemons and a pinch of black pepper to dressing and mix.
Croissant Lobster Sandwich Recipe
- In a large bowl combine 2 lbs. of lobster meat and mayonnaise dressing and toss to coat. You want just enough dressing to glaze the meat and not more.
- Chill for two hours.
- Split croissants in half and assemble sandwiches with four ounces of meat to each croissant to make eight total.
- Serve with Cape Cod potato chips and a nice cold craft beer or chardonnay.