Summertime clambake in your backyard! Time for a New England lobster bake at home featuring the Maine ingredient, live lobsters. But you don’t have to fight beach traffic or dig a big hole for this home clambake recipe. You just need a big pot, some cheese cloth and seaweed.
Lobster Bake at Home Ingredients
- 4 dozen steamer clams
- fresh seaweed
- 6 potatoes, skin on
- 6 ears of corn with the husk on
- 6 medium whole onions
- melted or drawn butter
- 6 sausages
- 6 live lobsters, about 1 ¼ lb. each.
Lobster Bake Instructions
- Fill the bottom of pot with 6 inches of wet seaweed.
- Divide the steamers among 6 pieces of cheesecloth and tie corners so you can pick them up. Place on seaweed.
- Remove silk and all but two layers of corn husk from the corn.
- Place corn, potatoes, onions and sausage over the clams in that order. Top off with the lobsters.
- Put a layer of cheesecloth over the lobsters and cover with another 4 inches of seaweed.
- Cover closely and place pot over high heat. When steaming begins, reduce heat to medium and cook for one hour and 15 minutes.
Serve with fresh, hot crusty bread, and plenty of melted butter. Don’t forget to put plenty of beer on ice!