This Southwestern grilled lobster recipe will give your Maine lobster dinner a little zest with the subtle roasted red pepper and lime as compared to the traditional boiled lobster dinner. While this recipe calls for grilled, whole live lobsters, frozen lobster tails will work just as well, and in fact will save you a little work.
- 4 lobsters, 1—1 1/2 lb. each *
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup butter softend
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- coarsely ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, as garnish
*Note: For quicker preparation, 6-7 oz. frozen lobster tails can be substituted for live lobster.
Instructions Southwestern Grilled Lobster
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; plunge lobster in for 4-6 minutes to blanch. Remove lobsters and cool until you can handle them.
- Cut in half lengthwise, remove the intestinal vein and rinse out, and crack claws.
- Preheat over to 425 ºF. Brush red pepper with oil, place on baking sheet and roast with for 15 minutes, turning several times. Remove from oven and cool.
- Carefully peel off pepper skin, remove seeds and chop the pepper.
- Place softened butte, red pepper, lime juice and zest in blender and process until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Set aside at room temperature.
- Prepare marinate by combining olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, chives, cilantro and black pepper.
- Brush thoroughly over lobster and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Barbecue lobster flesh-side down on medium heat grill until seared. Turn, brush with red pepper butter and cook shell-side down for another 6-8 minutes allowing the lobster to braise in its own juices.
- Arrange lobsters on a large platter, top with remaining red pepper butter and serve with lemon and lime wedges.
Intimidated about cooking whole, live lobsters on the grill? Get outside and give it a go with our guide for BBQ live lobsters.