Mmmm….lobster grilled cheese recipe. This cheesy creation is a nice twist on a classic grilled cheese sandwich, but with fresh lobster as the “Maine” ingredient. Remember, just like a great lobster roll, it’s the lobster meat that makes a great lobster grilled cheese.
Pick mild cheeses as you want to complement the sweet, buttery flavor of the lobster, not over power its flavor. We use Gruyere, Swiss, and American cheeses in our recipe. Also try a mascarpone, provolone, or even mozzarella cheeses. What is nice about a panini maker is it makes the sandwich nice and crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside.
Say Cheese! For more cheeses that go great with lobster see our cheese guide for our Lobster Mac N’ Cheese!
Makes about 8 Lobster Panini Sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Equipment: non-stick skillet or a panini press, spatula
- 1/2 lbs of Gruyere cheese sliced thin or shredded
- 1/2 lb. of mild, Swiss cheese sliced thin or shredded
- 1/2 lb. of white, American cheese sliced thin or shredded
- Loaf of sliced Italian Scali or a rustic white bread
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 or 2 lbs. of fresh lobster claw and knuckle meat, depending on your budget.
- 1 stick of butter (We love the butter from the Casco Bay Butter Company).
Pro Tip: Grated cheese will melt more evenly than thick cheese slices and make a cheesier, gooey spread! Mix all three grated cheese in a bowl and place on your bread halves.
- Mix your lobster meat in 2 tbs. of mayonnaise (Use just enough mayonnaise for a light glaze), add a pinch of pepper, and a twist of fresh lemon. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Heat your grill pan or panini maker to medium heat and coat with butter.
- Generously butter the outside of each bread half and place equal amounts (1/2 slice each) of your cheeses on each half of your bread. Alternatively, add your mixed grated cheese to your bread halves.
- Spoon in 3-4 oz. of lobster meat inside your bread.
- Grill each side of your lobster grilled cheese for 3-4 minutes on a buttered pan until lightly brown and flip if using a pan.
Serve whole sandwiches or slice, diagonally in halves. Serve hot off the press with potato chips, fries or a dill pickle.