Fresh lobster meat makes the salad. You can catch some fresh cooked lobster meat a couple of ways. If you live near the Maine shore, you can cook up your very own live losters and pick the meat. You can also use fresh frozen lobster meat. Whether you live near the shore or not, here’s a simple recipe for how to make lobster salad
To save money, see if “culls” are available. Culls are one claw lobsters and are usually less expensive than a full lobster. Use culls when presentation is not a big deal or when your shucking lobster meat to make lobster rolls or lobster salad.
Did you know it takes three or four molts for a lobster to regenerate a claw to full size?
A 1 1/4 lb. lobster will yield approximately 4 oz. of lobster meat (much depends on if the lobster is hard-shell and full of meat). That’s about 4-5 live lobsters to make a pound of lobster meat! It sure is a lot of work shucking all those lobsters! It takes about two cups of lobster meat to make a pound.
If you do not live on the coast of Maine, pick up some frozen lobster meat. There are now better sources for cooked, frozen lobster meat. You can buy fresh cooked lobster meat direct from LobsterAnywhere. Now here’s our recipe for lobster salad:
You’ll see a bunch lobster roll recipes made from lobster salad. To be be clear, lobster salad and lobster rolls are not the same. What to learn how to make the perfect lobster rolls at home? Check out our Lobster Roll Guide.
Makes Four Servings
Simple Lobster Salad Ingredients:
- 1 pound of fresh lobster meat
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 firm head of lettuce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkle Lobster meat with lemon juice; chill.
- Use only crisp lettuce leaves. Wash carefully, roll in clean towel, chill in refrigerator
- Mix mayonnaise with the mustard; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the lettuce on a pre-chilled salad dish.
- Place lobster meat on the lettuce; add a spoonful of dressing to each serving. Sprinkle with paprika.