Red potatoes make this a New England chowder a favorite. Rhode Island’s clam chowder features the same delicious blend of clams and vegetables, but it is served in a clear broth.
Our hearty red bliss potato chowder is a great starter for a New England boiled lobster dinner.
- Steamer Clams 1-1/2 lbs.
- Onion, diced 1 cup
- Garlic, chopped 1 TBS
- Red Potatoes, chunked about 5
- Heavy Cream 1/2 quart
- Water 1/2 quart
- Flour 1 TBS
- Bacon, diced 2 strips
- Celery, diced 1/2 cup
- Salt 1 tsp.
1. In large soup pot add water and salt. Steam clams until they just open.
2. Remove clams from shells and chop. Reserved the cooking liquid.
3. In medium soup pot add diced bacon. Cook until crisp.
4. Add celery, onion, and garlic. Cook until tender.
5. Add diced red potatoes and flour. Cook for 3 minutes
6. Add reserved clam juice, (no sand!), and clams. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
7. Serve with oyster crackers.